I was talking about how I was so confused with the ‘taper’ and that I wasn’t sure what to do or why, but coming out of my last race (PR!) I think I have a slight handle on it. (phew)
The week before my 1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Half Marathon PR I did the following workouts:
Monday: Rested, Tuesday: tempo 4 mile, Wednesday: Riding and Turbo Fire, Thursday: easy 5k race, Friday: Rest Saturday: Race Day!
What I ate: Veggies, Fruits, Rice, Quinoa, Fish, and Pasta [the night before]. My calorie intake was not much higher than normal but just enough. I drank Nuun during the day and Mikes Recovery drink after workouts.
I slept: Great almost every night, kept a positive, no worry, no stress attitude about the whole thing and reminded myself of how much I loved the course. I did some light visualizing and a lot of positive self talk.
So what do I think took me to my PR? (in no specific order)
– The AMAZING constant unending love, support, and encouragement from my family and friends.
– Cross Training (Turbo Fire and Riding)
– Ate less than the past, but more carbs overall
– Less Stress, less planning, less worrying overall
– LOVE of the course and love of the sport
– Tempo runs
What do you think helps you do best at your races?